The Cosmopolitan Club (R) was established in 1895 by the benevolence of Sardar M Kantharaje Urs,the then Dewan of the erstwhile Kingdom of Mysore who bestowed a prime land of over 4 acres. It was a time when Mysore kingdom was under the suzeranity of the British who started the Club culture mainly for the relaxation of their officers and their families. The membership of the clubs were limited to the British/whites. Due to the clout of the Mysore royalty, the Club was thrown open to the non-white, elite cosmopolitan citizens of Mysore. Therefore it was named The Cosmopolitan Club.
After the Independence of India, the Club gradually became real cosmopolitan, enrolling people of different hues and various walks of life with social standing. In 1995, the Club completed 100 years and celebrated its Centenary in a befitting manner adding a Centenary Hall to commemorate the event. In 2020, it has completed 125 years--a grand celebration was planned but due to the Covid19 pandemic it is kept in abeyance. The Club is centrally situated at the heart of the city within half a kilometer from the City Railway Station. The sprawling locale of the Club is ensconced by Jhansi Laxmibai Road/MUDA offices on the East, Head quarter of the University of Mysore (Crawford Hall)/D.C.s offices on the West; on the North & South, by Colleges established by the benevolent King Nalwadi Krishna Raja Wodeyar (Maharaja's, Maharani's & Yuvaraja's colleges)